Read the pros and cons of this powerful contractor grade machine in our in-depth Rolair FC2002 review.
- Heavy duty, industrial grade, 2 HP 3400 RPM 115V motor
- Stainless reed valves & cast iron cylinder
- Overload Protection with a manual Reset button
- Powerful 95-125 PSI Operating Pressure
- Delivers 4.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI
- Easy to transport at 62 pounds
- 4.3 gallon, twin stacked hotdog air tanks
- 12 oz. crankcase is pre-filled with oil
- Continuous 100%Duty Cycle
Motor & Pump:
The motor is a heavy duty industrial design that incorporates ball bearings to give a smother operation and longer motor life. Rolair also boast of a 100% duty cycle when operating the compressor which means it can be run constantly, reducing the need for down time when waiting for the compressor to cool.
The powerful, oil lubricated, 2 horsepower (running) motor operates at 3400 RPM and will work on any standard 15 Amp – 110 – 120v power supply. The low amp draw of the motor also reduces the possibility of tripped breakers.
The motor also has an overload shutoff with a manual reset. The large crankcase is another great design feature and helps to keep the oil viscosity longer and also protects the pump on unlevel surfaces.
The contractor grade single stage, direct drive pump incorporates stainless steel reed valves and a cast iron cylinder to improve durability and machine life. The pump fills the 4.3 Gallon twin stacked hotdog tanks to a maximum pressure of 125 PSI in approximately 60 seconds and delivers 4.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI and 5.40 SCFM @ 40 PSI.
Design and Build:
With the twin stacked tanks on one side and the engine and pump assembly on the other side the compressor is very stable and well balanced.
Weighing in at 62 Lbs and with a compact size (Length – 20” x Width – 15” x Height – 17”) the FC2002 is light enough to move around with comparative ease using the centrally located lifting handle.
The build quality of the Rolair FC2002 is excellent. The base of the compressor is manufactured from thick square section steel and the lifting handle from tubular steel. There is also an ergonomic grip on the handle to stop any slipping when transporting the machine. Solid rubber feet on the base reduce vibration and also help to stop the compressor moving about when running.
The controls are fairly standard for a portable electric compressor, they include:
- Tank pressure gauge that shows the air pressure stored within the tanks
- Line pressure gauge that shows the output pressure to the tool or tools
- Air pressure regulator that allows the user to increase or decrease the output pressure
- Safety relief valve to protect you in case of tank pressure overload
- On and off switch
- Reset button
The air gauges are the typical economy variety that are on most small compressors these days, but they are clear and easy to see from a standing position. The air pressure regulator is easy to turn and large enough to be operated with a gloved hand.
For this class of compressor the Rolair FC2002 is fairly average when it comes to noise levels. At 80 dba the noise is tolerable and according to the OSHA won’t cause damage to your hearing. However, it could become an irritation if you are working in a confined area such as a small workshop.
- Well designed and built to last
- High SCFM output to run contractor tools
- Oil lubricated pump for longer life
- Low amp draw that runs off standard home power outlets
- Light enough to carry for short distances
- Very well balance and stable
- 100% duty cycle to reduce downtime
- Cheap screw type drain valves
- Not the best quality gauges
- No wheels
Conclusion: The Rolair FC2002 is a well built powerful work horse that would suit both professional contractors and home users alike. The build quality, air output and general design of the compressor are all superb, making this one of the best portable compressors on the market. For the price it’s definitely one to consider.
If you have an comments about this Rolair FC2002 review, please leave them below.